Dr. Rajeshwari Rapata
Ex Dean, Prof and Homeopathic Consultant
Sai Sanjeevani Homeopathic Clinic
Kharghar, Sec 10. Navi Mumbai, MS
Homeopathy “A boon to mankind during COVID 19 Pandemic”
Do you know Homeopathy was used way back in India for Cholera and Plague epidemic ?
It had successfully saved many lives. It was when Homeopathy became popular and was accepted in India by the then Indian Kings and eminent people.
Homeopathy is hailed since many years for its benefits to human beings. It has been used and verified by many sceptics as well as many revered persons who later became firm believers and patrons of this healing science.
I am obliged to write this article as it is the need of the hour when all the world is under the dark cloud of fear, there seems no probable cure and prophylaxis for the Corona Virus ie COVID 19.
Here Homeopathy can prove itself as it has done since approximately last two centuries.
Let me elaborate the history of Homeopathy:
Homeopathic principles are related to Ayurvedic principle of “Vishey Vishasya Samayati”
Homeopathy was accidentally discovered by Dr. Hahnemann when he was translating Cullens Materia Medica wherein it was mentioned that Cinchona bark can be used to cure Malaria
because it causes chills and fever similar to Malaria when consumed by a healthy man. These texts which Dr. Hahnemann translated seems to be the manuscripts of our ancient Indian Ayurvedic system
The history of Homeopathy can be traced as far back as the year 1835 when a French man Dr. John Martin Honigberger visited India. He was called in by the Maharaja Ranjit Singh of Lahore who was suffering from paralysis of the vocal cords and swelling of the feet. He treated the Maharaja dispensing “Dulcamara” in wine, in low potency. This medicine cured him. The Maharaja was also impressed when he treated his favourate horse of his ulcer of the leg. Dr. Honigberger became the chief physician of his court.
Later on after the Maharaja’s death Dr. Honigberger shifted to Calcutta. In Calcutta, he was known as the “Cholera Doctor” as he treated and cured many people during the cholera epidemic. He practised in Calcutta up to 1860.
Dr. Honigberger happened to go to Vienna and caught Cholera. He saved himself by taking Ipecac, every half an hour. This incident greatly impressed him and he started dispensing Homeopathic medicines both for himself and for others.
In 1836 in Tanjoor, Dr. Samuel Brookling, a retired surgical officer, dispensed homeopathic medicines to his civilians and army officers stationed at Madras.
In 1836-1867 Dr. Mahendra Lal Sircar, learned about Homeopathy from a layman, Rajendralal Dutta, popularly known as Babu Rajen Dutta. He had a number of cases to his credit. He cured Iswar Chandra Vidyasagar of asthma and also cured gangrene of the foot of Maharani of Shorapur, and greatly impressed Raja Sir Radhakanta Deb Bahadur of Shorapur.
In August 1869, a Bengali named Babu Priyanath Bose started a hospital with an OPD (Out Patient Department) in Allahabad. It was at this centre that Mr. Motilal Nehru took treatment during his struggle for freedom.
In 1880 Father Augustus Mueller, a priest and teacher of a school founded by the Society of Jesus in Kankanady in Manglore, started dispensing free homeopathic drugs.
In 1902 there was an epidemic of pneumonic plague and Father Augustus Muller treated most of the people successfully. He established a plague and leprosy clinic. Seeing this, the British presented him with the “Kaiser-e-Hind” award. He also wrote a book entitled “Twelve Tissue Remedies”
Apart from these examples,There are thousands of cases being treated prophylactically for common flu, Viral conjunctivitis, Hepatitis and many more all over India.These are all well documented by various research centres too. We have CCRH which monitors all these activities in India.
There are testimonials available by many prominent personalities in India as well as from all over the world.
Many Doctors from conventional system of medicine who have quit their Allopathic practice and turned to homeopathic practice after experiencing its wonderful life saving results.
Similarly there have been many instances worldwide where homeopathy was successfully used to treat and cure people from pandemic diseases.
Some of them are as follows:
- Following the route of the caravans, epidemic cholera made its first appearance in Europe in 1829 by entering through south-central Russia. In 1830 it invaded a large portion of Russia and in 1831-32 it spread throughout Western Europe.
- US mortality in 1900
- In 1902, Dr. J. A. Kirkpatrick, Professor of Pathology at the Hering Medical College in Chicago, wrote in a paper entitled, Do your own thinking; but first inform yourself, “There are reliable statistics to show that in the United States alone the deaths which occur under allopathic treatment are about 500,000 annually more than would occur if homeopathic treatment were universally employed.”
- Dr. Hahnemann about scarlet fever epidemic “A striking fact in corroboration of this is, that whilst previously to the year 1801, when the smooth scarlatina of Sydenham still occasionally prevailed epidemically among children, it attacked without exception all children who had escaped it in a former epidemic; in a similar epidemic which I witnessed in Konigslutter, on the contrary, all the children who took in time a very small dose of Belladonna remained unaffected by this highly infectious infantile disease.
- “Subsequently to the year 1801 a kind of pupura miliaris (roodvonk), which came from the West, was by physicians confounded with the scarlet fever, notwithstanding that they exhibited totally different symptoms, that the latter found its prophylatic and curative remedy in belladonna, the former in aconite, and that the former was generally merely sporadic, while the latter was invariable epidemic. Of late years it seems as if the two occasionally joined to form an eruptive fever of a peculiar kind, for which neither the one nor the other remedy, alone, will be found to be exactly homeopathic” (Organon of Medicine, note of §73) .
- In lesser writing “Some Kinds of Continued and Remittent Fevers” , published in 1798 in Hufelands Journal der practischen Arzneykunde, Hahnemann describes the use of Ignatia amara in the treatment of a continual and sporadic fever affecting children in January 1797, presenting the following characteristic symptoms: instead of heat on the skin, continual chills and great lassitude; the forehead is covered by cold perspiration; weakness of memory; excessively short and spasmodic breath. Two months later, a similar fever once again affected children but presented different characteristic symptoms: immobility of the pupils; pressing pain around the navel; stupor; decrease of strength; relief by perspiration, etc. This time the healing remedy was Opium. And still the next month, Camphora was the remedy used in an epidemic of influenza, which aggravated by the use of Opium due to a different set of peculiar symptoms. With these examples, Hahnemann highlights the importance of individualizing medicines according to the characteristic symptoms of each similar epidemic (or epidemic stage)
- In “Cause and Prevention of the Asiatic Cholera” , Hahnemann describes the use of Camphora, Cuprum metallicum and Veratrum album as medicines homeopathic to the epidemic genius of each stage of the disease (prescribed in an individualized way, according to the similitude to the symptoms of each stage of the disease) for the prevention and treatment of a 1831 epidemic of Asiatic cholera in the German area.
- According to Hoover and Shepherd the mortality rate during that epidemic was 5-16% among patients treated with homeopathy and 54-90% among patients treated conventionally. Homeopathy was also used in the 1854 epidemic in London once again with significant reduction of mortality rates.
In Lesson XI of his Lectures, Kent describes the treatment of some cases of an epidemic of childhood diarrhea with Podophyllum 30c according to the similitude of pathogenetic symptoms and the epidemic genius, “the cures were almost instantaneous, it seemed as if there would be no more stool after the first dose of medicine”, despite he did not always use single doses
- Noticeably, a meta-analysis of 3 RCTs of homeopathy in epidemics of childhood diarrhea  showed that individualized homeopathic treatment was significantly more efficacy than placebo. Moreover, a RCT carried out by the same authors showed that non individualized homeopathic treatment (complex or association of 5 homeopathic medicines commonly used in the treatment of childhood diarrhea), dismissing the symptoms of the epidemic genius, showed no significant response when compared to placebo.
10. During an epidemic of conjunctivitis in Pittsburgh, PA  a RCT was carried out to assess the efficacy of Euphrasia officinalis 30cH, chosen on the grounds of the epidemic genius of earlier outbreaks on the prevention of disease, once again dismissing the symptomatic totality of the ongoing epidemic. Treatment group included 658 schoolchildren who took the homeopathic remedy during 3 consecutive days; control group was composed by 648 schoolchildren who took placebo with the same dosage system. There was no statistically significant difference in the incidence and severity of the disease between both groups.
In another epidemic of keratoconjunctivitis in Cuba in 1995 , 108 patients were distributed in a randomized design into homeopathic (n=48) and conventional (n=50) treatment, the former using Pulsatilla nigricans 6cH as homeopathic medicine to the epidemic genius of the ongoing
outbreak. Homeopathic treatment was significantly more effective than the conventional one in eliciting improving of symptoms in less than 72 hours.
CCRH is the prime body which governs, monitors and funds for research in India. There is ongoing research at IIT Powai on Homeopathy as a nanotechnology medicine.
There are many research centres which are conducting research and clinical trials on new and old medicines for their efficacy on various diseases.
The research papers published in peer reviewed national and international journals.
Many countries are conducting research on Homeopathy though most noteworthy one which brought Homeopathy to light is about Dr. Luc Montagnier, the French virologist who won the Nobel Prize in 2008 for discovering the AIDS virus, has surprised the scientific community with his strong support for homeopathic medicine.
Most clinical research conducted on homeopathic medicines that has been published in peer-review journals have shown positive clinical results,(3, 4) especially in the treatment of respiratory allergies (5, 6), influenza, (7) fibromyalgia, (8, 9) rheumatoid arthritis, (10) childhood diarrhea, (11) post-surgical abdominal surgery recovery, (12) attention deficit disorder, (13) and reduction in the side effects of conventional cancer treatments. (14) In addition to clinical trials, several hundred basic science studies have confirmed the biological activity of homeopathic medicines. One type of basic science trials, called in vitro studies, found 67 experiments (1/3 of them replications) and nearly 3/4 of all replications were positive. (15, 16)
In addition to the wide variety of basic science evidence and clinical research, further evidence for homeopathy resides in the fact that they gained widespread popularity in the U.S. and Europe during the 19th century due to the impressive results people experienced in the treatment of epidemics that raged during that time, including cholera, typhoid, yellow fever, scarlet fever, and influenza.
Montagnier’s new research is investigating the electromagnetic waves that he says emanate from the highly diluted DNA of various pathogens. Montagnier asserts, “What we have found is that DNA produces structural changes in water, which persist at very high dilutions, and which lead to resonant electromagnetic signals that we can measure. Not all DNA produces signals that we can detect with our device. The high-intensity signals come from bacterial and viral DNA.”
The reason behind explaining the Iatrogenic diseases is to make understand how our body responds to different therapeutic and diagnostic procedures.
All medical faculties are well aware of this, Thus Doctors from all faculties should come together during this critical period to serve the mankind by the best possible way by interacting and eliminating this pandemic from its roots.
It will be only with the support of the higher authorities that all faculties practice integratedly hand in hand for the well being of the suffering.This will enable trust and confidence of the patients as well as alleviate the fear from their minds.
Let Homoeopathy come to the rescue with all others in the forefront
Iatrogenic disease is the result of diagnostic and therapeutic procedures undertaken on a patient. With the multitude of drugs prescribed to a single patient adverse drug reactions are bound to occur. … Iatrogenic (of a disease or symptoms) induced in a patient by the treatment or comments of a physician.
1- Iatrogenic diseases are a leading cause of death in an era dominated by conventional medicine.
a) In 1981, Steel et al found that 36 percent of 815 consecutive patients on a general medical service of a university hospital in Boston developed an iatrogenic illness. In 9 percent, the incident was considered major in that it threatened life or produced considerable disability. In 2 percent of the 815 patients, the iatrogenic illness was found to
be fatal. Iatrogenic illness on a general medical service at a university hospital. NEMJ1981; 304: 638-42.
b) More recent studies have shown that the number of reported deaths in the US related to iatrogenic causes is between 451,000-505,000 a year, making it the third leading cause of death (The CDC reported that the number of deaths in the US in 1999 was 725,000 from heart diseases and
550,000 from cancer).Deaths: leading causes for 1999. National Vital Statistic Report 2001; 49: 1-88.
c) A recent study found that there were about 199,000 reported deaths related to the side effects of well-prescribed drugs in non-hospitalized patients. Epidemiology and medical error. BMJ2000; 320: 774-777.
d) The Institute of Medicine, a division of the National Academy of Sciences, reported that in 1999 there were 106,000 deaths in hospitalized patients due to side effects of “properly” prescribed
medications. To Err Is Human: Building a Safer Health System. Washington, DC: National Academy Press; 1999.
e) The same study also estimates that medical error accounts for between 44,000 and 98,000 deaths and as much as 1,000,000 non-necessary injuries every year in the United States. Another study published in 1999 in JAMA found that there were 90,000 reported deaths due to infection contracted in hospitals. Incidence of adverse drug reactions in hospitalized patients. JAMA 1998; 279: 1200-1205.
f) The total number of 451,000-505,000 reported deaths due to iatrogenic causes in the US is completed by including 12,000 reported deaths following unnecessary surgery. Unnecessary surgery. Annu Rev Public Health 1992; 13: 363-383.
g) This mortality report of iatrogenic diseases does not include deaths related to OTC medications, suicides induced by medications, and accidents related-deaths, as no numbers seem to be available. This is certainly not a negligible number, as for instance, OTC drug-related overdoses comprise about 40 percent of all medication overdoses. JClin Pharm Ther 2005; 30: 39-44.
2- No studies have showed that mortality increases during physicians’ strikes compared to other time periods. On the contrary all report that mortality either
stayed the same or decreased during the strike. Doctor’s strikes and mortality: A review. Social Science & Medicine 20; 67: 1784.
3- Americans spend more than 50% per person than
Europeans on health care while at the same time life
expectancy has been declining significantly in the last
few decades in many regions of the USA. The Reversal of Fortunes: Trends in County Mortality and Cross-County Mortality Disparities
in the United States. PLoS Medicine 2008; 5 (4): e66.
4- At the same time, Americans consumes 37% of all pharmaceutical products sold while representing only 4% of the world population, or three times more drugs per person compared to other countries with similar standards of living. The Global Pharmaceutical Market. www.vfa.de Research-Based Pharmaceutical Companies.
5- With very rare exceptions, recovery of health cannot be expected for sufferers of chronic diseases within the conventional medical model.
Conclusion: Homoeopathic Prophylaxis and treatments have a lot of scientific evidences for treatment of epidemics and pandemics worldwide and should be given a chance to prove once again for COVID 19 Pandemic.
Ref: https://www.researchgate.net/publication/40646586 Homeopathy: a preventive approach to medicine. Image courtesy: AYUSH website.
Frequently Asked Questions :-
About the Author
Dr. Rajeshwari Rapata
Ex Dean, Prof and Homeopathic Consultant
Sai Sanjeevani Homeopathic Clinic
Kharghar, Sec 10. Navi Mumbai, MS